Tuesday, May 1, 2012

May 2012 Menu Planning


Since I went way over my grocery budget last month, and there's almost 5 weeks in the month of May (gasp!), I decided that this week is the perfect time to eat out of the freezer and pantry and only get bare necessities from the store.  I would like to have cleaned out, defrosted freezers as we enter this new season, and hopefully I will use up those things that need using up!


Here's the menu options for this week:

Breakfasts: Eggs, bacon, toast(with jam, nut butter, cinnamon sugar), Grits with pastured butter, Healthier Morning Orange Drink (we're down to using no additional sugar!), cereal, Homemade Gluten Free Granola, leftovers (aka. dinner for breakfast-to break us into eating gluten-free and not having to buy a lot of GF breakfast cereals and such)

Lunches: Kids have school lunch, hubby and I generally eat leftovers
Snacks: Granola bars(homemade?), apples(nut butter), carrots(hummus), frozen veggies, popcorn, homemade cookies,
Desserts: Elderberry Cobbler, Rhubarb Cobbler, Zucchini Brownies

Dinners:
Monday: Chicken nuggets/GF chicken tenders, Ore Ida Onion Tater Tots, Carrot and Celery sticks, Romaine salad
(I wimped out and went with these because I was out trying to get the grass mowed before the thunderstorms came.)

Tuesday: Spaghetti, using Tinkyada rice spaghetti noodles. I was thinking about doing something along the lines of Gluten Free Chicken Spaghetti Casserole, only making it more Italian-ish than Mexican since I have Zucchini Pesto, onion/peppers, and Mozz/Parm cheese in the freezer and some mushrooms/peppers in the fridge to use up.  If I don't use chicken, I will likely serve cottage cheese as a side for additional protein.

Wednesday: Nut Butter Sandwiches, Apple Slices, No-Bake Cookies

Thursday: Chicken thighs(baked, basted w/bbq sauce?), Cauliflower, Tailgate Salad, rice?

Friday: Pizza...will have to see what I can dream up. I might go with wheat crust on this one for the family! (GF for myself)

Saturday: Beans in the crockpot, GF Cornbread OR Dahl Soup

Some additional ideas:


On my shopping list:
Milk
Eggs
Romaine
Apples

I am working on a Wheat-free Menu and Grocery List this week as well.I want to do a Big Shop next week and stock up on a lot of things and don't want to forget anything!

No comments: